Food To Prevent Osteoporosis 1
A healthy diet goes a long way for overall health. These days, the answer to any all diseases is consuming a balanced diet rich in minerals and vitamins. The same goes for osteoporosis and osteopenia. It is very important that once you are diagnosed with this bone disease, you do not take any further risks and you eat healthy and consciously.
While medication is essential to help battle osteopenia and osteoporosis, maintaining a good diet is also imperative. That is the care you need to give yourself and leave the medical part to your doctor.
– Eating foods that are rich in calcium is good for bone health. Make sure that whatever you eat is as natural as ever and not processed. This will give you the full benefits of the nutrients and vitamins present in it. Try different options for calcium – you don’t need to only stick to milk and milk products. Also experiment with different cuisines so eating healthy becomes even more interesting.
– Eat foods that are rich in vitamin D and vitamin K as well. Both of these help build stronger bones that ultimately reduce the suffering that osteopenia and osteoporosis bring. Try green vegetables and for that extra dose of vitamin D, go out in the sun and enjoy the freshness. Don’t forget the sunscreen though!
– Cut down on alcohol and cigarettes. If addicted, seek help and try to reduce the intake. They do nothing good to your body in any case, so feel that you absolutely need them in your life just because you feel the urge. Know that your bone health is more important that smoking or drinking. In place of these items, you can enjoy some fresh fruits and vegetables and nibble on them the whole day to keep you distracted. Carrots, apples and celery are a good option.
– For overall health, fresh fruits and vegetables are the key. But when you cook them, cut down on the salt because this is not good for your bones neither for your health in general. In case you find that you have consumed too much salt in a day, drink plenty of water to flush it out.
– Avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks. Even though we drink these to refresh ourselves, they erode bones slowly and you do not want this when you have osteoporosis. So in place of these, drink water and if you find the plain liquid boring, you can add fresh sprigs of mint and lemon slices to it. Naturally flavoured water is interesting and also secretly adds nutrients to your body.
– Eat a lot of eggs, fish, dairy products enriched with additional calcium and vitamin D. However, cut down on red meats as much as possible because they do not help bones and are difficult to digest in general.
The key to health is to always eat fresh and consult with a dietician about specialized foods that can aid in bone strength. A healthy diet is what will get you back to good health, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
Liked the article on Foods That Help Manage Osteoporosis And Osteopenia and maybe have your own tips and stories that you would like to share? Comment below!